Toddlers Made Easy - Episode 18
Did you know that treating siblings as equals fuels friction and fighting?
Sibling relationships are complex. Observational studies have shown that
some siblings fight as often as eight times an hour! Yet those relationships are essential for shaping children, and from a developmental standpoint, sibling rivalry helps kids figure out their distinctive qualities.
Siblings support one another and learn from each other. But they also compete for their parent's love and attention. So when we strive for equality with our children, they will always tally up and try to figure out who got more than the others.
The more a child is validated and seen, the more secure they feel. In this episode, I focus on why children should be treated as individuals rather than equals and explain how treating kids as individuals improves sibling relationships.
Stay tuned for more!
- What happens when we strive for equality with our kids?
- What happens when we treat our children as individuals?
- What sibling rivalry is all about from the child's perspective.
- The benefits of not trying to make everything fair, and focusing instead on treating each child as unique.
- Why it is a good idea to make individuality a priority when giving your children gifts.
- Should mealtime portions be the same for each child?
- What sibling fights may be saying about what a child is feeling.
- Why it is essential to spend some special-focus time daily with each child.
Links and resources:
Follow Dr. Cathryn on Instagram: @healthiest_baby
Check out our bestselling online course: Toddlers Made Easy Course
Sign up for our FREE parenting insights and strategies. You'll get clear and solid parenting advice that will CALM your nerves, SAVE you frustration, and UP your confidence.
Watch our FREE Tame Tantrums workshop
Rate, Review, & Follow ❤️❤️❤️
If this sounds like you: "I love Toddlers Made Easy." <-- please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more parents -- just like you.