Toddlers Made Easy - Episode 20
Is your toddler’s desire to delay dozing off driving you to distraction?
Bedtime fears usually start at around two years and may last several years. They happen very commonly because children spend their days in imaginative play, and it is tough for them to turn that off at bedtime.
Even though there are many valid reasons for your toddler to fight at bedtime, you still need a chance to get some rest. Your needs matter and you have less to give when you need to recharge. So there is no need to feel guilty about wanting your child to sleep so you can take some time for yourself.
In this episode, I talk about bedtime fears and how to overcome them. I go into why children have those fears and explain why they tend to happen from a developmental perspective.
Stay tuned to learn how to lovingly, respectfully, and effectively manage your toddler’s bedtime fears.
Five things likely to contribute to your toddler’s bedtime fears:
- Young kids experience separation anxiety, so it makes sense that they fuss when you leave the room.
- Toddlers tend to be defiant by nature because they want more control over their world.
- A toddler’s brain is still developing. So they have so little control over their emotions.
- Toddlers do not understand the concept of time. So when you tell them you will see them in the morning, it seems forever away.
- The frontal lobe of a toddler’s brain is still developing. That is the part that allows us to reason, problem-solve, and make plans. So they are not able to talk themselves down.
- Five things likely to contribute to bedtime fears from a developmental perspective.
- Why is an early bedtime best?
- The benefits of creating a short bedtime routine.
- Some effective ways to manage your toddler’s bedtime fears.
- The importance of creating a responsible and healthy bedtime routine.
- How to take charge of your child’s bedtime routine.
- Some calming strategies that you can teach your child to develop.
- How to use deep breathing in the present moment.
- How to stay on the same team as your child.
- Some easy steps to help you manage bedtimes without getting wound up.
- I have a bite-size course coming up soon on managing bedtime like a pro. I’ll tell you more in a future episode.
Links and resources:
Follow Dr. Cathryn on Instagram: @healthiest_baby
Check out our bestselling online course: Toddlers Made Easy Course
Sign up for our FREE Toddler Talks. I'll send you a short weekly e-mail with a clear and solid parenting insight that will CALM your nerves, SAVE you frustration, and UP your confidence.
Watch our FREE Tame Tantrums workshop
Rate, Review, & Follow ❤️❤️❤️
If this sounds like you: "I love Toddlers Made Easy." <-- please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more parents -- just like you.