Toddlers Made Easy - Episode 24
Did you know toddlers do not typically try to hurt the person they hit?
Your toddler is not a bad kid if they smack someone. Nor does it mean you are no good as a parent or indicate that there may be problems down the road. They are simply acting their age.
Toddlers hit to express their feelings. Their brains are still developing. So they have poor impulse control. They struggle to articulate their feelings and tend to behave however they feel. They are also still learning about cause and effect. So when they hit someone, they fail to understand how it impacts them.
In this episode, I dive into the reasons toddlers hit. I share some helpful strategies to cope with hitting and explain how to teach toddlers better ways to manage their strong feelings.
Stay tuned to learn how to manage hitting in a way that protects your toddler's self-esteem while also allowing you to stay calm.
- Some of the reasons toddlers tend to hit.
- Looking at hitting from a toddler’s perspective.
- Situations in which toddlers are more likely to hit someone.
- Using the EASY game plan as an effective way to manage your toddler's hitting.
- Some ways to ground yourself, calm down, and avoid losing your temper.
- Why is it good to connect with your child before correcting their behavior?
- How to acknowledge your toddler's feelings, set limits, correct, and help them learn.
- Some tools and strategies to encourage good behavior and avoid hitting. (See Episode 4.)
Links and resources:
Follow Dr. Cathryn on Instagram: @healthiest_baby
Check out our bestselling online course: Toddlers Made Easy Course
Does potty training terrify you? Discover 5 Must-Do’s Before Starting Potty Training. Get our free guide and empower your child. Set the path for success!
Sign up for our FREE Toddler Talks. I'll send you a short weekly e-mail with a clear and solid parenting insight that will CALM your nerves, SAVE you frustration, and UP your confidence.
Watch our FREE Tame Tantrums workshop and stay calmer with tricky toddler moments.
Rate, Review, & Follow ❤️❤️❤️
If this sounds like you: "I love Toddlers Made Easy." <-- please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more parents -- just like you.